The Mudd family, David Herold and the Sothorons.
12-20-2012, 12:06 AM
RE: The Mudd family, David Herold and the Sothorons.
Stephen - I copyrighted this material in 2005, so for safety's sake, let's say you have authority to use it. If you need some serious sites, just give my a jingle. The leader of this particular group was John Wise Hebb, b 1 Apr 1839, MD. First he joined the 2nd Louisanna Reg. Then moved to 1st Md Inf. Next he went to the 24th VA Partisan Rangers, (I have a Roster of this Unit- Rare,) This was disbanded Jan 63 for rowdy activity, John was ordered to 5th VA CAV, he refused and joined Mosby. Next he transferred to the Confederate Navy, with the rank of "Acting Master" - but called "Capt.". He recruited a Company, and led Cav raids on Mathias Pt. (King George, County, VA) and into MD. Since 2005 I have found a ref. to a Battle at Persimmon, Pt (K.G. Co. VA) and the "Navy Patisans were involved".
Again he was castigated for "rowdy activities". An example of his rowdy gang, "the gang captured a boat carrying Booze, to VA. WHen they submitted a report of the skirmish, the entire gang swore that the barrels were all empty, so there is nothing to ship to the government." The "government' didn't believe them. He must have been productive, because he was not disbande, but he was shuffled away from Mathias Point. (This is where Cawood and Brogden appealed to Richmond to get these guys out of here.) Capt Hebb was captured on the Eastern shore of Md and sent to Fort Mc Henry for "recruiting for the Rebel Navy behind the Federal Lines and hiding arms and ammunition to arm "Priveteer Men". (They were planning to release the prisoners at Point Lookout and ransack So. MD.) These rascals dragged a good size boat with them, so they might raid into MD. across the Potomac or Chesapeake Bay. Two of the men "Millburn Brothers" (The names slip me), each kept a diary of their travels and were captured by L. C. Baker, who published their book in his "Hist. of the U.S.Sec. Serv." OK? These are the cats that I suspect raided the "Gov. Farm" at The Plaines. Who knows, maybe they were told to say "We're with Mosby", to keep from being disbanded again. Talk to me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Thank you for your reply. - Stephen - 12-19-2012, 02:24 AM
RE: The Mudd family, David Herold and the Sothorons. - John Stanton - 12-20-2012 12:06 AM