Half Faced Camp
03-11-2025, 11:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-11-2025, 11:43 AM by Rob Wick.)
#2
RE: Half Faced Camp
In 1952, Eastern Illinois University Professor Charles H. Coleman published an article in the Abraham Lincoln Quarterly on the half-faced camp. Coleman had long died before I started attending EIU, but as a history major I was very well versed in Coleman's work. In fact, just off the front entrance to Booth Library was a room housing Coleman's books on Lincoln, which I grew very familiar with utilizing it for various projects.

Coleman holds to the view that the camp was a myth. However, he gives credence to the possibility that Thomas Lincoln built the camp for himself when he traveled alone to Indiana. Then the family lived in it for a week until the regular cabin was completed.

Here is a link to the article.

Best
Rob

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/alajournals...view=image
Abraham Lincoln is the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Half Faced Camp - by Gene C - 03-08-2025, 02:01 PM
RE: Half Faced Camp - by Rob Wick - 03-11-2025, 11:41 AM
RE: Half Faced Camp - by mbgross - 04-02-2025, 05:00 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)