The Lincolns in Kentucky -Video
06-11-2024, 03:03 PM
RE: The Lincolns in Kentucky -Video
To add a few points.

On November 16, 1896, John Hartman wrote to Ida Tarbell, discussing the ticket printing scheme. Here is the link to Hartman's letter.

https://dspace.allegheny.edu/items/f145e...92db2ca9a0

I found no response from Tarbell to Hartman, but if she did respond, the carbon of the letter was likely destroyed when McClure's Magazine was sold in 1917. Much of the magazine's archive was destroyed, to Tarbell's chagrin, after the sale. Tarbell hints at the confusion surrounding the convention and discusses a project that was worked on overnight but never comes out and says that this is what happened. I checked this in the 1924 edition of her Lincoln biography, which was the last one she updated.

Michael Burlingame discusses the various schemes and the many fathers who claimed credit in the Knox College edition of his biography. Especially interesting is his footnote. (page 1695, footnote 235)

https://www.knox.edu/documents/LincolnSt...Chap15.pdf

An interesting-looking book that, unfortunately, I don't have is The Great Comeback: How Abraham Lincoln Beat the Odds to Win the 1860 Republican Nomination." Gary Ecelbarger is the author. It shows up on the Internet Archive but is unavailable for borrowing.

After reading the article Anita referenced, I was skeptical that it took place, but given the large number of people who said it did and were in a position to know, I'm not so sure now. Of course, it could be like numerous other Lincoln stories where one or two sources are repeated over the years, allowing each subsequent generation to point to those works as "proof."

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln is the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Lincolns in Kentucky -Video - Gene C - 04-22-2024, 03:59 PM
Wigwam - mbgross - 06-09-2024, 03:36 PM
RE: Wigwam - Anita - 06-09-2024, 07:38 PM
RE: The Lincolns in Kentucky -Video - Rob Wick - 06-11-2024 03:03 PM