It’s a Free Country. For How Much Longer?
04-03-2024, 10:10 PM
RE: It’s a Free Country. For How Much Longer?
David,

As usual, you only tell half the story. Here is the full quote from Parker:

"Lincoln erred on the side of governmental strength, but he knew that motives and endgames were important. He warned his generals against revenge ('blood cannot restore blood') and insisted that 'as soon as the Rebel armies laid down their arms,' they should immediately be 'guaranteed all their rights as citizens of a common country.'”

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this comment. Most historians agree that Lincoln's actions, in the hands of someone less heroic, would immediately be seen as anti-democratic and authoritarian. That you choose to highlight the word "erred" can only lead me to believe that, once again, you cannot stomach someone failing to see Lincoln as the god you have created. For a more nuanced image, I urge you to read James G. Randall's Constitutional Problems Under Lincoln and Daniel Farber's more recent, Lincoln's Constitution.

Also, you misuse the word "ironic." It isn't ironic that Lincoln discussed the topic in both 1861 and 1864 in different speeches. I would define that as coincidental.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: It’s a Free Country. For How Much Longer? - Rob Wick - 04-03-2024 10:10 PM