Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
11-03-2021, 08:48 PM
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
Just to add my thoughts:

I’ve often been annoyed by TV ‘historical’ programmes which assert that “this” is how it was. The Brits seem especially prone to these. They usually consist of digitally created maps and buildings that supposedly show how medieval or prehistoric people lived. Actors are dressed in what are claimed to be the style worn at the time. Oddly enough they usually have a full set of teeth, clean hair, and sound limbs. *

Over the years I’ve been to many touristy sites where attractions claim to show the way things were. Ranging from Wordsworth’s and the Brontes homes in the North of England to Ned Kelly’s last stand in Victoria Australia. Obviously, they are useful in their way … they do help to remind adults of momentous events and they do, hopefully, engender the interest of children.

Some places serve only to screw money from tourists. Various castles and old houses in England for example. In Australia it seems that every obsolete jail has been made into a tourist trap. Frankly, I dont like being reminded of how my ancestors were subjugated by rich barons in England and Ireland and convicts were mistreated.

Sadly, all too often the marionettes/mannequins look ridiculous (Madame Tussauds in London is one of the biggest waste of tourist time and money). The actual scenes often seem far too hygienic and lifeless. In London there is a portrayal of Churchill’s bunker with Generals, maps, telephones, etc. But I’m sure that I did not see any sign of something which would have been very numerous … ashtrays or cigarettes. The dummies serve only to make the scene laughable. The ‘Bunker’ in Singapore, scene of the British surrender to Japan is much better.

As far as Lincoln’s cottage is concerned, one would hope that plenty of imagination is used and high quality artifacts with perhaps a mouldy cat and some delapidated/broken furniture.

* It is possible to present good portrayals of ‘the way things were’. For example …
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkxW-nB0nNU

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed - AussieMick - 11-03-2021 08:48 PM