Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
10-27-2021, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2021 02:41 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
I would find it cool to have the chance to also experience the home where Abraham Lincoln began a new "stage" of his live - that of a home owner, and the dimensions of this beginning. I am trying to understand the problem - just to clarify, they don't plan on tearing the late "upgraded" (original) house down that stands there now but just want to add a replica of the original (smaller) Dresser home in the neighborhood? What is the problem? From all I've seen the setting (perfect houses, paved sidewalk, lots of space and neat and tidy lawn, modern "casted" trees) ​already looks a bit "artificial", like an outdoor museum rather than "genuine" to me, and I don't mean that in a negative way. I have lived historic cities, Aachen and Vienna, for most of my life, and both are narrow, packed, crowded, no green outside castle parks and church yards, lots of dirt and cobblestone, lots of buildings in less "clean" and perfect condition...and I think in the past this was way worse. (And, of course, people are still living in the many historic houses.) So my impression is that the replica wouldn't really look odd in the Lincoln neighborhood "site". Isn't most of New Salem reconstructed? Why is that not "Disneyfied" then?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed - Eva Elisabeth - 10-27-2021 02:27 AM