In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
03-22-2021, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2021 08:59 AM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
(03-21-2021 10:59 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  David,

I don't know how to break it to you, but lawyers always say that about their cases. What matters is what a judge or jury says. I wouldn't bet the family beer supply on what an advocate for one side tells the press.

Best
Rob

Did you and I read the same article?

"It’s uncommon for a judge to rule so quickly, as public school alumni groups and the San Francisco Taxpayers Association just filed their petition seeking the decision’s repeal on the grounds that it was done without due process."

In other words, the judge who would be hearing the case did not wait too long before issuing the proposed order directed to the San Francisco Board of Education.

I know that your opinion is that "it [the case] will eventually be rejected on appeal."

But, according to the article, the opinion of Professor Laurence H. Tribe, Esq. (Carl M. Loeb University Professor and Professor of Constitutional Law Emeritus Harvard Law School.) is that "the judge indicated that he understands and is persuaded by the points we made. I’d treat that as handwriting on the wall if I were the respondents.”

You admit that you are not a lawyer.

Paul Scott, a local attorney who is also representing the petitioners, said “When the reputation of the Great Emancipator is under attack without due process of law, who better to lend a hand in his defense than the foremost constitutional scholar of our day?”

In the end, I would be willing to bet that the character and reputation of President Abraham Lincoln will win this contest . . . and I would be willing to give odds.

(03-22-2021 07:13 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Roger,

According the Bypass Policy and Skip the Procedures Partisan Subcommittee, after a behind closed doors emergency meeting, special counsel has advised that your answer can be accepted.

Besides, we liked your quote better. My quote was from the introduction of "Lincoln Talks" by Emanuel Hertz

Quoting from "Lincoln Talks" by Emanuel Hertz, without verification, is against the rules.

Don't you remember that time:

03-08-2019, 05:35 PMPost: #3303
David Lockmiller Online
Legendary Member

RE: Extra Credit Questions

I regret to inform the readers of the recent portion of this thread on Tad Lincoln and his father’s parental lessons that two of the stories that I have posted and attributed to Thomas Pendel in his book Thirty-Six Years in the White House are not true and not valid. Gene sent me a private message and informed me that Lincoln, Stanton, and Tad water hose incident was not in this work. He checked Internet Archives. I regret the mistakes and I apologize.

The two stories that I typed out from Emanuel Hertz’s book Lincoln Talks and attributed to Thomas Pendel are not valid. Pendel writes in his Preface to the book: “I have endeavored in my Recollections to relate only such events as appear to be worthy of preservation.” Since the two Pendel stories that I have posted on the “Stanton” and the “secret knocking code” incidents are not actually in this book, it is highly unlikely that either story is true.

However, I still believe in President Lincoln’s parenting philosophy as stated in the book Giant in the Shadows: The Life of Robert T. Lincoln by Jason Emerson at page 9: “It is my pleasure that my children are free, happy and unrestrained by parental tyranny. Love is the chain whereby to lock [or bind] a child to his parents.”

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed - David Lockmiller - 03-22-2021 08:35 AM