In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
12-17-2020, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2020 04:36 PM by Rob Wick.)
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
Quote:Then hell would freeze over, and the problem of global warming would be solved.

I didn't know conservatives believed in global warming, Gene. Welcome to the fight.

David,

I was a reporter and editor for over 14 years, and I am very well-versed in open meetings law. Given that we are still in the midst of an unprecedented pandemic, meetings have been moved to computer screens, but they are still required to follow a state's open meetings law.

You seem to believe that some secret cabal of un-elected officials (although properly appointed by the school board) are somehow in control of things and that just because people can't drone on ad nauseum at a meeting that their voice is somehow being silenced. I've covered enough public hearings to know that most people have no idea how to argue a point succinctly or keep from repeating themselves. A time limit on public comments is usually welcome.

In the end, it will be the elected board members who have to make the decision based on their panel's recommendation, their own point of view, and what they perceive to be the will of the public and the voters. And, in the words of a member of this forum:

Quote:The individual School Board members would be answerable to the local community electorate in the next election if they make major mistakes in judgment.

That, indeed, is democracy in action. That you may lose the fight doesn't make it any less valid.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed - Rob Wick - 12-17-2020 04:34 PM