Jacob Lawrence Painting, Missing for Decades, Is Found by Met Visitor
10-25-2020, 06:54 PM
RE: Jacob Lawrence Painting, Missing for Decades, Is Found by Met Visitor
Another interesting aspect of the Six Months at the White House, by F. B. Carpenter, (1879), Chap. XXXIII, at pages 100 - 101, is the expression of appreciation by President Lincoln to Robert Dale Owen for his important work. This observation made by Mr. Owen goes directly to the true character of President Abraham Lincoln.

Upon the conclusion of the manuscript, Mr. Lincoln said: "Mr. Owen, is that for me?"

"Certainly, sir," said Mr. O., handing him the roll. "I understood that you were considering this subject, and thought a review of this kind might be interesting to you."

"There is a good deal of hard work in the document," continued Mr. Lincoln; "may I ask how long you were preparing it?"

"About three months; but then I have more leisure for such a work than you, Mr. President."

Mr. Lincoln took the manuscript, and, folding it up carefully, arose, and laid it away in the pigeon-hole marked "O," in his desk. Returning to his chair, he said: "Mr. Owen, it is due to you that I should say that you have conferred a very essential service, both upon me and the country, by preparation of this paper. It contains that which it was exceedingly important that I should know, but which, if left to myself, I never should have known, because I have not the time necessary for such an examination of authorities as a review of this kind involves. And I want to say, secondly, if I had had the time, I could not have done the work so well as you have done it."

This frank and generous avowal -- so unlike what might be expected, under similar circumstances, from most public men -- was exceedingly characteristic of Mr. Lincoln.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jacob Lawrence Painting, Missing for Decades, Is Found by Met Visitor - David Lockmiller - 10-25-2020 06:54 PM