House Divided according to Shmoop
10-10-2020, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2020 07:05 AM by Amy L..)
RE: House Divided according to Shmoop
I have finished Jaffa's 'Crisis of the House Divided'!

Phew! Sorry, I must congratulate myself, not because I could not follow most of the chapters on the Missouri Compromise, but... it was an effort.
With lots of fascinating insights - Like the religion of Politics for Lincoln, and the battle between those with an affinity for the British (Whigs turned Republican) vs. those with affinities for the Irish (Democrats)...

Alas, I put the book down without a definitive opinion on whether what looked from a distance like "timbers joined together... [to] make the frame of a house" was in fact a conspiracy, EXCEPT in the notes (p. 422) Jaffa quotes " 'While no 'conspiracy' was concocted between [Buchanan] and Taney, he did let key members of the Court know just what kind of decision he wanted, and just why he wanted it...  [Buchanan] had long thought that politics should govern [the Court].' Emergence of Lincoln II [by Curtis and McLean], p 477.  Among the definitions given by Webster [dictionary] of 'conspiracy' is the following: ' Combination of men for a single end; concurrence or general tendency, as of circumstances, to one event; harmonious action.' We believe the candid reader will find sufficient evidence to support Lincoln's conspiracy charge..."

Hey - If I might comment as it relates to who's responsible for the 'irrepressable', inevitable war - If Douglas hadn't run, Dem votes wouldn't have been further divided.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
House Divided according to Shmoop - Amy L. - 08-23-2019, 04:08 PM
RE: House Divided according to Shmoop - Amy L. - 10-10-2020 03:56 PM