Dr. Mudd
01-27-2020, 05:20 PM
RE: Dr. Mudd
Good question, Richard! I think it's difficult to answer this question definitively. One thought came to my mind when I read your post. In his "confession," George Atzerodt stated:

"I am certain Dr. Mudd knew all about it, as Booth sent (as he told me) liquors & provisions for the trip with the President to Richmond, about two weeks before the murder to Dr. Mudd's."

Although this is a reference to the kidnap plot (I know John Fazio will disagree on my reference to a kidnap plot), it seems to me it could also be logically inferred that Booth saw Dr. Mudd's home as a logical place to stop and rest as he escaped from Washington after shooting the President. I cannot say that with any certainty, but I think it's at least a possibility.

Also, Laurie has mentioned several times on this forum that JWB sent David Herold to "scout" the Maryland countryside on April 12 and April 13. It is at least conceivable that Herold told Booth that Mudd's house was the best resting place during the escape from Washington.

I am not sure anyone can give a 100% conclusive answer for your question, Richard.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Dr. Mudd - richard petersen - 01-27-2020, 02:03 PM
RE: Dr. Mudd - RJNorton - 01-27-2020 05:20 PM
RE: Dr. Mudd - bob_summers - 01-31-2020, 09:39 AM
RE: Dr. Mudd - Steve - 01-27-2020, 09:00 PM
RE: Dr. Mudd - Gene C - 01-27-2020, 10:00 PM