New photo of Dr Mudd from Mr Dave Taylor?
05-22-2019, 05:09 AM
RE: New photo of Dr Mudd from Mr Dave Taylor?
Rob, I just checked Nettie's book and here are a few comments Samuel made about his weight when he was at Ft. Jefferson. These comments are from his letters to his wife.

February 14, 1867:

"I fail to perceive and conjecture anything favorable. I cannot yet look forward to any period with certainty. In the mean time, I am making myself as content as circumstances will permit. My health has continued unusually good through the winter up to this time; God grant I may be spared another summer here. I weighed a few days ago one hundred and forty-five, which is only a few pounds short of my usual weight."

August 10, 1867:

"You seem desirous to know something about my health, fare, looks, and weight. I thought I had satisfied your curiosity on these points previously. Having nothing to occupy my pen, I again attempt a description. My health is not good, but much better than formerly. Our fare consists principally of salt pork, bread and coffee — fresh beef two or three times in every ten days. We had issued yesterday to us, eight in number, about a peck of Irish potatoes, the first vegetables of any kind since last January, with the exception of corn and beans occasionally.

As regards my looks, being an interested party, I might be inclined to flatter; but to answer your inquiry, I must pass a judgment or opinion no matter how incompetent, therefore, agreeable to the best estimate I am capable of forming, my appearance is about the same as when I left home, with the exception that my hair is considerably thinner, consequently the bald head more perceptible, and no doubt larger in circumference. I have no wrinkles, and wear constantly a
mustache and goatee. Owing to the peculiarity of my skin, and not much exposed to the sun, I am paler or fairer than when I left home. I may be a few pounds lighter, perhaps about a hundred and forty-four or five. My manners about the same, impulsive, etc. Generally, have but little to say, but think a great deal. I am very weak, though in appearance strong."

December 6, 1867:

"My health continues very good, and I have increased several pounds in weight the past two or three weeks. I am now taking things as easy as possible, after finding all my endeavors fruitless and your promises of an early release mere speculation."

This is what I found - maybe I missed some. But it would appear that his weight, through 1867, remained pretty consistent in the mid-140s. IMO, Dr. Mudd's weight would be considered pretty average for males during that time period in American history.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New photo of Dr Mudd from Mr Dave Taylor? - RJNorton - 05-22-2019 05:09 AM