Marines vindicated
02-02-2019, 07:28 AM
RE: Marines vindicated
(02-01-2019 07:33 PM)Steve Wrote:  I came across this story which I think illustrates the necessity of getting the history of an event right despite first reports in the media:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/these-...spartanntp

Now these events only happened 12 years ago, so I guess this stops just short timewise as being "history", but still illustrates the need for getting the story right in history.

It was Jim Mattis, a revered Marine general and recently departed defense secretary, who convened the tribunal that ultimately determined that none of the Marines should be charged. The hearings spanned three weeks in January 2008.

“Sometimes now, when I reflect on it, I think that if this didn’t happen, I’d be four years from retirement. I could have stayed in and made that my career,” said one of the Marines who was falsely accused and left the military voluntarily in 2008, when his contract expired. He spoke on the condition of anonymity, citing lingering concerns about retaliation.

“This devastated my life — my family, my legal expenses, being separated from the Marine Corps, not knowing if one day someone was going to knock on my door and take me to Fort Leavenworth,” he added, referring to the Army post in northeast Kansas that is home to the military’s only supermax prison.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Marines vindicated - Steve - 02-01-2019, 07:33 PM
RE: Marines vindicated - David Lockmiller - 02-02-2019 07:28 AM
RE: Marines vindicated - David Lockmiller - 02-02-2019, 11:11 AM
RE: Marines vindicated - David Lockmiller - 02-04-2019, 01:35 PM
RE: Marines vindicated - RJNorton - 02-04-2019, 04:51 PM
RE: Marines vindicated - L Verge - 02-04-2019, 05:30 PM
RE: Marines vindicated - David Lockmiller - 02-04-2019, 06:14 PM