Just read - no comments needed
06-23-2018, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2018 01:14 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Just read - no comments needed
Kate - I think you and I had the same professors...

Now, Just for fun: Instead of reading quotes from modern authors with minimal legal background, but loads of "hindsight," why don't those of us with a day or two to spare do it the old-fashioned, historical way? Let's read the entire Dred Scott Decision, including the opinions of each Associate Justice who decided to offer one! And while reading, let's analyze the entire document and view it from the perspective of the 1850s and the men who wrote it. That's something many of us seem to have difficulty doing (even learned historians who have one or two areas of expertise and make history fit their conclusions).

Oh, by the way, if you thought that the final paperwork on the case was short, sweet, and to the point -- guess again. I said you would need a day or two, and that's what I meant. Go here to get started - https://www.lectlaw.com/files/case23.htm

We make fun of lawyers, but I can't imagine what reading and analyzing real legal cases and opinions must do to one's brain...

(06-23-2018 12:31 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Kate - I think you and I had the same professors...

Now, Just for fun: Instead of reading quotes from modern authors with minimal legal background, but loads of "hindsight," why don't those of us with a day or two to spare do it the old-fashioned, historical way? Let's read the entire Dred Scott Decision, including the opinions of each Associate Justice who decided to offer one! And while reading, let's analyze the entire document and view it from the perspective of the 1850s and the men who wrote it. That's something many of us seem to have difficulty doing (even learned historians who have one or two areas of expertise and make history fit their conclusions).

Oh, by the way, if you thought that the final paperwork on the case was short, sweet, and to the point -- guess again. I said you would need a day or two, and that's what I meant. Go here to get started - https://www.lectlaw.com/files/case23.htm

We make fun of lawyers, but I can't imagine what reading and analyzing real legal cases and opinions must do to one's brain...

BTW: When you open the case, you will notice that someone with Lectlaw has added a "non-prejudicial" introduction, calling this a "Racist Decision."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Just read - no comments needed - L Verge - 06-06-2018, 06:38 PM
RE: Just read - no comments needed - Steve - 06-08-2018, 05:48 PM
RE: Just read - no comments needed - L Verge - 06-23-2018 12:31 PM