Just read - no comments needed
06-14-2018, 07:24 PM
RE: Just read - no comments needed
(06-14-2018 05:08 PM)Rsmyth Wrote:  I guess you sure talking about me Laurie. I believe as Holzer has suggested that these icons be placed on battlefields or in museums or taught in history class. If you believe they serve any good purpose on display on the village green erected by the DOC some 50 years after the war at the height of racial divide in this country and the second resurgence of the KKK for only one purpose, to raise awareness of white supremacy, then discussion on this topic is useless.

If you thought for one minute that you were going to change my mind on the fate of the Confederate symbols, Rich, then this lengthy battle of wits was useless from the beginning.

I knew the history of how many of these monuments came to be a long time ago -- college and later training in the 1960s and 70s. That did not then (when I was actually a liberal college student!) nor now change my opinion that they are a part of our history that needs to be understood and that destroying them or tucking them away where folks may have to pay to go see them will not solve the racial divide within the U.S. (and other countries).

I do not appreciate most modern art, and I think Picasso's work is a sham. However, I am not going to make it a project to have all of his canvases (and others of that ilk) destroyed. Someone remind me - didn't Picasso have political leanings that would offend me...?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Just read - no comments needed - L Verge - 06-06-2018, 06:38 PM
RE: Just read - no comments needed - Steve - 06-08-2018, 05:48 PM
RE: Just read - no comments needed - L Verge - 06-14-2018 07:24 PM