Just read - no comments needed
06-14-2018, 03:29 PM
RE: Just read - no comments needed
(06-14-2018 03:05 PM)RobertLC Wrote:  Herold Holzer presented a brilliant address at the Gettysburg’s Remembrance Day, November 19, 2017, during which he discussed issues related to various monuments.

I have included a link to the text of his remarks. I think his presentation has been discussed previously on this forum.

Bob

http://www.historynet.com/lincoln-monume...ddress.htm

Thank you so much for locating this and posting it, Bob, and I urge everyone to read it -- especially after another poster "credited" Harold with a rather abbreviated and totally out-of-context remark.

If you find the American Historical Association's statement on the Confederate statue issue, you will also see that they have a more temperate opinion on using history to determine individual statues' fates. Most of the professors cited previously have books on modern Southern history, and it would be interesting to see how their full text might handle the debate - not just one isolated quote.

And yes, I know how to be selective when choosing citations also. For instance, a friend sent me a piece yesterday on the values of the Cherokee nation. What caught my eye was a Cherokee warning: "What one fears one destroys."

Rather sad that it is deemed by some more practical to destroy evidence of the past rather than to learn from it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Just read - no comments needed - L Verge - 06-06-2018, 06:38 PM
RE: Just read - no comments needed - Steve - 06-08-2018, 05:48 PM
RE: Just read - no comments needed - L Verge - 06-14-2018 03:29 PM