Just read - no comments needed
06-12-2018, 07:32 PM
RE: Just read - no comments needed
... and I think we can leave out the list of Founding Fathers who owned slaves.

Goodness, are we (as in the modern world) going to remove all statues of people of whom we no longer approve? Are we going to remove all the names of such people from the town and streets? Good luck with that.
(there are many disgusting racist names of outback towns and creeks in Australia)

Or is it correct and, yes, good to remember the errors and crimes committed in the past? To acknowledge that humans can be both great and also have weaknesses and sometimes make decisions which are simply wrong and even immoral? Is it so wrong to believe that many people who fought for the South were brave and courageous?
That they placed duty and honour as more important than life itself? That they were willing to leave their homes and families to fight and suffer for their belief in what they regarded as their heritage?

I guess it depends upon what each of us thinks when we look at those statues and read those names. Do we recall slavery with its horror, the KKK and Jim Crow? Or do we think of bravery and courage and honour? Or is it possible to think of them all?

I think it would be useful to read George Orwell's 1984 and the deletion of inconvenient details from official histories.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Just read - no comments needed - L Verge - 06-06-2018, 06:38 PM
RE: Just read - no comments needed - Steve - 06-08-2018, 05:48 PM
RE: Just read - no comments needed - AussieMick - 06-12-2018 07:32 PM