Just read - no comments needed
06-08-2018, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2018 06:47 PM by J. Beckert.)
RE: Just read - no comments needed
(06-08-2018 07:56 AM)Rsmyth Wrote:  Tipped my hand Joe? I think my stand on the issue has been well documented. And comparing the confederacy to nazi germany grossly unfair? Let's see; six million Jews loaded on to train cars for the final destination. Four million slaves crowded onto boats and shipped to the U.S. where all men are created equal, only to have families ripped apart on the auction block never to be reunited and sold into slavery only to be raped, beaten and lynched. Six million, four million; ok, say maybe 1/3 less guilty. I know Lauries position and why but Joe, why do you continue to idealize the confederacy?

I don't idealize the Confederacy, Rich, I just think this fervor to remove statues and rename schools is misguided. A broad brush is being used to paint good men like Lee and Jackson. Men who, in violation of Federal Law, educated their slaves and were in an extremely small minority by doing so. Lee educated and freed his slaves before Lincoln's Emancipation. Lincoln himself thought highly of him. How anyone can disparage him is disgraceful to me.
Where was this witch hunt 20 years ago? Nonexistent, because the media wasn't jamming down our throats 24/7. Rebel flags, statues, etc. You'd think race relations were as bad as they were in the 1950's and they're not. We've had a black (2 term) President, for Pete's sake. Morgan Freeman made a great suggestion when asked about all this "racism" in the news - "Stop talking about it". The media likes to keep it front and center, so they won't stop talking about it.
I've worked in a High School the past few years and you'd be shocked how many seniors can't tell you who won the Civil War, but show them the Stars and Bars and they spew about racism because our liberal institutions jam it down their throats.
Where does it end, Rich? Lincoln dropped the N bomb during his debates with Douglas. Washington and Jefferson owned slaves. Do we remove all reference and images of them? You mentioned Nazis and these bans remind me of them - they banned books, guns and the like - just like what's happening here. Huckleberry Finn is banned is a lot of schools. It solves nothing and if anyone is offended by a statue or a book, they need thicker skin.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Just read - no comments needed - L Verge - 06-06-2018, 06:38 PM
RE: Just read - no comments needed - J. Beckert - 06-08-2018 06:39 PM
RE: Just read - no comments needed - Steve - 06-08-2018, 05:48 PM