Forum Member on Travel Channel
06-08-2018, 11:55 AM
RE: Forum Member on Travel Channel
(06-04-2018 09:50 AM)emma1231 Wrote:  
(06-03-2018 10:22 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  all in all, I thought Richard came off as genuine and professional.

Thanx, Jim. Well, let's move on. I apprec. the kind words from my friends!
I'll try being more active on this site from now on -- about Lincoln and Booth, not Lindy. (I did rec. convince my Town's Landmark Pres. Commission to erect a marker pointing out a defunct country club airport (in what is now LevittownNY residential area) where great aviation figures flew. Lindy and Amelia Earhart were charter members, and Lindy taught his wife to fly there. Now it's up to the Town government to decide whether or not to take the commission's recommendations and spend time and money to erect the sign on the site, close to where the club's main bldg., pool, and tennis court were! My wordage for it was approved. I'll let you know what developes. Lindy's daughter, Reeve, liked the idea. I've met her a couple of times. Nice lady. SHe's not at all like her father, and more like her mom.
Oh, by the way, I printed out that lady's great research on Booth being photographed with the Richmond Grays, and I put it in a little binder next to Gutman's book. What a great piece of work! Do you all agree?

Is that defunct airfield close to where Mitchell (Field) AFB used to be? I was born on Mitchell, and I remember learning as a teenager that there was a nearby airport that Lindbergh used.

I also have met Reeve Lindbergh and agree that she is a lovely lady - very open and friendly. I casually said to her that I am afraid to fly. She responded that she has always been also -- except when she knew that her father was the pilot.

As a plug: I met her at the College Park Aviation Museum here in Maryland. It is one of the historic sites owned and operated by the same gov't. agency that owns Surratt House. The airport has the distinction of being the oldest, continuously operated airport in the world (despite what France tries to claim). It is called the Field of Firsts because most of the "firsts" in early flight in the U.S. happened there - including the Wright brothers teaching the first military pilots, first female to fly, first air mail...

There was a bit of a scare after 9/11 when all small airports within a large radius of D.C. were shut down. The government managed to salvage our reputation by making it an official airstrip for police helicopters and such. It is now fully functional and just opened a huge ops building next to the museum. Just google College Park Aviation Museum for more info.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Forum Member on Travel Channel - RJNorton - 05-26-2018, 05:14 AM
RE: Forum Member on Travel Channel - L Verge - 06-08-2018 11:55 AM
RE: Forum Member on Travel Channel - Steve - 06-08-2018, 01:25 AM