The Confederate Connection???
02-24-2018, 12:12 PM
RE: The Confederate Connection???
(02-23-2018 11:42 PM)SSlater Wrote:  I am not trying to assign responsibility--- I'm just adding a bit of information that has been overlooked. (Someday we may know the whole story.)
There may have been a formal delegation of responsibility, or a casual "help me out". Who knows the full extent!
All that I can say is "that Benjamin had the opportunity, to run the government - while Davis was ill." In some cases, Benjamin began the "Order" with "The President has directed me to have you....."
But, knowing Benjamin, he may have managed to activate a personal Program.
I have found this in my jumble of notes. It is a small piece of Varina Davis' autobiography, "that Benjamin spent 12 hours each day at the her husbands bedside tirelessly shaping every important Confederate Strategy and tactic, yet Benjamin never spoke publicly or wrote about his role..." This I got from the "American Jewish Historical Society" web site.
When Davis signed off on a decision, Benjamin did not have to stick to the letter of his instructions. he could have done ANYTHING he pleased. Benjamin started every written Order with - "The President has directed me to have you ...." From then on it could be ANYTHING.
I will look at Kensey John Stewart's orders, given to him in this critical timeframe, and see if it is worded as I think it will be. ("the President has directed me to........".)

I agree with you, John. In the confusion that had to reign supreme in Richmond during the last year and months of the war, anything is possible - including Cabinet members bypassing protocol. Even in the Union gov't., it appears that Stanton walked a fine line also (even before the assassination). The end purpose of any war is to win it, and black flag warfare had already thrown traditional warfare to the side.

For those of you who have listened to the C-Span video with Hall, Tidwell, and Gaddy, you understand that they make the capture/assassination a military objective with Booth ultimately becoming the assassin when he became a loose cannon cut off from his "handler(s)." He continued to do what he believed his assignment was - dispose of the Union leaders in any manner possible.

When I used to lead the school tours at Surratt House, I would use the analogy of our wars with the Indian nations. Who was the primary target in a conflict? The chief. Twenty years ago, the students knew their history well enough to understand; I'm not sure that they even know about Indian wars anymore...

John S. - speaking of Kensey John Stewart: Do you have a photo of the Reverend and know its source? Working with another production researcher.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Confederate Connection??? - L Verge - 02-23-2018, 12:07 PM
RE: The Confederate Connection??? - kerry - 02-23-2018, 09:12 PM
RE: The Confederate Connection??? - L Verge - 02-24-2018 12:12 PM