Thread Closed 
What makes a great politician?
01-15-2018, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2018 09:55 PM by AussieMick.)
RE: What makes a great politician?
Thanks, Laurie, you're absolutely correct (our mutual admiration knows no bounds). I was beginning to think I shouldnt have started the Thread. I would prefer people to consider all politicians and all nations. Obviously that might involve some debates of specific people ... but hopefully without going into endless disagreements and bringing in new side issues.

I see on the internet Business Insiders website that Lincoln is still classed as the greatest president.
I'd agree.

Business Insiders 20 Greatest Presidents

I do though disagree with the various 'qualities' that they used to grade the presidents...
"Public persuasion, crisis leadership, economic management, moral authority, international relations, administrative skills, relations with congress, vision, pursued equal justice for all, and performance within the context of his times."

I still consider the choice of colleagues/cabinet to be a prime criteria. That comes also under the criteria 'Administrative skills' ... but its more than that. It includes being able to recognise people's strengths and weaknesses. Someone else here (Sorry, I forget who and havent searched) mentioned Humility and I'd agree ... its just that its such a difficult one to assess from a proven basis. Vision is a little waffley and can be easy to fake. 'Relations with congress' is obviously US based but I'd go with anything similar that means achieving practical and realistic objectives whilst working with diverse competing people .

Many of the criteria in the Business Insiders are too hazy (and, yes my favourite word, 'waffley').

I also think that a leader must be able to make decisions. That means knowing when to make a decision and when *not* to make a decision. It includes being able to change course or even making a decision that is the reverse of a previous one (Anybody here ever gone for a drive and got lost ... and refused to backtrack?). I'd give Lincoln a 10 on this.

Napoleon said something like he wanted generals that were 'lucky'. I think a great leader makes his/her own luck. And (what did Lincoln say about following events?) has to take advantage of events when possible whilst dealing with setbacks ("Risk Management" in modern business I guess).

Most important (being a member of Toastmasters) I have to say Communication Skills are essential.

Finally (and I hesitate because I dont want to cause arguments) ... perhaps there is a need to consider the negatives. What are the faults and weaknesses that we do not want a great leader to have ? I'll create a new thread for that.
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: What makes a great politician? - AussieMick - 01-15-2018 09:53 PM