Charles A. Dunham
10-09-2017, 02:23 AM
Charles A. Dunham
I have here a book 'Devil's game' by Mr. Carman Cumming.
Mr. Cumming and like to know more about Dunham's possible alias of 'Livingstone'. Mr. Cumming mentioned it briefly on page 25 and I quote, 'Oddly, though, the 'Daily News' did not repeat charges it had made against Dunham more than a year before, at a time in 1864 when he hah hoaxed the paper with a faked letter. On that occasion, the paper claimed that its tormentor had worked a swindle in the South under the name Livingstone.'

At page 69 'The Daily News in rebuttal said it had been printed the letter in good faith - but that if it was forged, the forger must have been the 'Tribune' writer. It also claimed that its tormentor, a "Bohemian in Washington who occasionally writes fiction for the 'Tribune, was the same man who, under the name of Livingstone, had earlier swindled parties in the South of large sums and then had been jailed in New England on other fraud charges, winning his release only by his efforts of his paper.' Notes to pages 58-79 (note 27) New York Daily News, Mar. 22, 1864.

Unfortunately, Carman did not go further with Dunham's frauds under the possible alias of 'Livingstone'. His research is actually based on the research of Joseph Missemer of San Diego, who died in 1964 without completing his work on Mr. Dunham. Rightly so Mr. Carman wrote about a 'puzzle'; which as I found out is more like a Victorian Cryptic Labyrinth that I by accident had found through my teenaged sons starting in 1997.
It all began when my eldest, then eleven years old, had asked if I knew a subject for his essay. I was peeling the potatoes and said, "Why not write about an explorer, there is an encyclopedia in the living room have a look in that." His subject was Dr. David Livingstone. Gathering information with my son on Livingstone, I learned about Henry Morton Stanley and in particular his secret engagement with Alice Pike.
At the end of the year, a noticed how much of his stories were based on fantasy and it took me years to find out his motives.

In any event, because on my findings it is important to learn more about Dunham's 'Livingstone affairs', does anyone knows about the particulars?

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Charles A. Dunham - Veronica - 10-09-2017 02:23 AM
RE: Charles A. Dunham - L Verge - 10-09-2017, 08:08 AM
RE: Charles A. Dunham - Veronica - 10-09-2017, 02:43 PM
RE: Charles A. Dunham - L Verge - 10-09-2017, 03:12 PM