Sarah A. "Whatser name"
03-27-2017, 02:19 AM
RE: Sarah A. "Whatser name"
Years ago, I wondered if the Kentucky Legislature did Honor a "Kentucky Widow", as Headley claimed in his book. So. I wrote to the Kentucky Government, and asked for details. They replied that the "ceremony" was held during a Legislative Recess and the details cannot be made public. (That mean that a Kentucky Widow WAS honored.) They would not give me a name. I don't know if that was Sarah, but the description used to hide the lady suggests that "It was A Lady from Canada, whose "cover" was the attire of a Widow, and who traveled to Richmond, to protect the Kentucky Military then in prison at that time., for no compensation", as a true Kentucky Widow would have done. It would not have been sensible to honor the widow at the cost of her life. The Federals were looking for her, or so they say. Also, she may not have been using the name "SLATER", so Kentucky does not have records for a SLATER.
Olivia Floyd tried to sneak into the act, by claiming that Lt. Bennett invited her to Kentucky -to be honored for her part in getting the papers for the St. Albans Raiders. I believe she made that claim to draw the heat off Sarah. That's another story in itself, not worth discussing.
Where was Sarah, at about the time of the "Kentucky Trip"? She was living in New York with her Mother and had her brothers nearby, and working on a divorce. The divorce was advertised in the paper, under the name Sarah Slater - why the federals couldn't find her, I'll never know. Kentucky found her.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Sarah A. "Whatser name" - SSlater - 02-16-2017, 11:11 PM
RE: Sarah A. "Whatser name" - RJNorton - 02-17-2017, 06:15 AM
RE: Sarah A. "Whatser name" - SSlater - 02-17-2017, 05:23 PM
RE: Sarah A. "Whatser name" - JMadonna - 03-26-2017, 07:30 PM
RE: Sarah A. "Whatser name" - Gene C - 03-26-2017, 07:55 PM
RE: Sarah A. "Whatser name" - SSlater - 03-27-2017 02:19 AM
RE: Sarah A. "Whatser name" - JMadonna - 03-27-2017, 09:54 AM