Ruggles. Bainbridge and Jett at the River
01-30-2017, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 03:12 PM by JMadonna.)
RE: Ruggles. Bainbridge and Jett at the River
(01-28-2017 05:32 PM)SSlater Wrote:  
(01-28-2017 11:16 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(01-27-2017 01:34 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  Wonder if the same names were on the registry that were there during his recruitment the previous year.

This would be interesting to know. The aliases of the Confederate operatives whom Booth met at the Parker House in late July 1864 were Charles R. Hunter, A.J. Bursted, H.V. Clinton, and R.A. Leech. I do not think I have ever seen mention of the Parker House's register (if it even exists) for April 5th and April 6th, 1865 (the two nights Booth again stayed there).

You can find the "Omni Parker House" on Goggle. (Built 1855 Rebuilt 1927) They mention that Booth stayed there April 65. They also brag about their "Register". They show only 2016, but I'll bet they have the Register back to 1865.

If 1865 is available, you can find the 4 guys mentioned. If they are not shown with those names, then look for 4 names that all registered about the same time and/or show Canada as home.

I don't have time right now. If someone searches further, please let us know - so that we don't have to repeat what you already know.
Good Luck!

Wrote to Susan Wilson, Parker House historian for information. This is her reply:
Hi Jerry -- Sad to say that all those records have been lost over the decades -- succumbing to fires, a 1926 rebuild (where much was simply thrown out), and bad housecleaning in general.
It won't happen again under my watch, but we are constantly trying to recoup the past from other sources here.
I would love to see any of your research and writings on Booth and the company he kept at the Parker House in 1864 and '65.
Best, Susan

All Susan has is a claim by a bellhop that he saw Booth eating breakfast at the Parker House on April 6th, 1865 and a report in a Boston newspaper by an eyewitness who saw his shooting exhibition. Both reports came after the assassination and there is no confirmation of either account. Since Edwin never said he saw his brother on that trip, I guess its possible he was not in Boston at all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ruggles. Bainbridge and Jett at the River - JMadonna - 01-30-2017 03:08 PM