St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
01-16-2017, 09:12 PM
RE: St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
I have to admit that I get very frustrated with researchers and authors who pay little or no attention to the Confederacy's Secret Line. I have always felt that there is a ton of history there if only we knew how to get to it. Tidwell, Hall, and Gaddy did a marvelous job (and were well-qualified with each one having life experiences in the espionage field); but, as they said right up front, good agents do not keep written records. Even Thomas Jones omitted things, I'm sure, from his grand little book in order to protect others. Those others just kept their secrets and carried them to the grave.

Do we know how Harbin slipped out of Yankee hands? I know you mention a suspected route that would have him crossing paths with Judah Benjamin, but have you ever seen any proof of how he eluded the Feds? Since he ended up coming back to DC and working at the National Hotel - where Dr. Richard Stuart was an owner - perhaps Stuart used his connections (like the Lees and the Calverts)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer? - L Verge - 01-16-2017 09:12 PM