St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
01-14-2017, 06:38 PM
RE: St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
(01-14-2017 05:56 PM)SSlater Wrote:  I owe a reply to several people, but I can't type it near the Question. So, bear with me and I'll get to all the questions.

Rick (Garland) Smith Finding horses late in the war was a problem not limited to southern Maryland. It was everywhere in the South. I am aware that the Union provided a horse to their Troopers, but Rebel Riders had to provide their own. So, a Rebel could be granted Leave, to find a new horse. Usually, he first looked at home. Mom and Dad knew this and tried to keep a few good horses - well hidden.
In the absence of a horse at home, he could choose one from the Union Cavalry, not necessarily "after a Battle".
This problem was sometimes settled at a man's Parole. If the horse could be proven to have been stolen, or confiscated - by checking the Brand Mark etc. He would not be allowed to take that horse home. (that might be a good reason to not seek a Parole)
I don't know if Jett and Bainbridge ever fought a battle for Mosby - and lost a horse - and came home to find a horse - but they were on Conrad's horses at the Rappahannock. (see CR Pg 465 Para. 2)
I believe Conrad keep a string of horses for the use of his "Crew" and for his many needs for a fresh horse.
(I will do some more after supper.)

John,

I agree with the authors of Come Retribution that Mortimer Ruggles, Absalom Bainbridge & Willie Jett were looking for Booth; just as Garland Smith, Thomas Harbin & Joe Baden had been on the Md. side of the Potomac, with a view to extracting him. I would venture even further and speculate that with all the various operatives following, looking for and finding Booth, that there may have been an order to eliminate him should the federals get too close. Enoch Mason was also out searching, as was William Lightfoot, who probably took the news to Mosby that Booth was dead.

The various means of procuring a mount were just as you described, just not sure that Conrad would have kept a stable, but, I suppose that anything is possible.

And, please accept my apologies; I do see from CR that Ruggles' mount at least, did indeed belong to Conrad.

Thanks for your response, it was much appreciated.

Rick
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer? - Rick Smith - 01-14-2017 06:38 PM