John Surratt's Superior's Opinion?
12-10-2016, 11:56 PM
RE: John Surratt's Superior's Opinion?
Gene C. Let me limit my comments on Sarah Slater to her life immediately after the war, else we will be here for hours.
Sarah never used her true name, Excuse me - she did sign in one time at the St. Lawrence Hall as Sarah A Slater - because it was 3:00 AM, and she wanted get a bed before she fell asleep in the Lobby.
I believe she did appear before the KY Legislature because Headley said so. She was there as a guest of the St. Albans Raiders, and they wanted to thank her for the care and attention she gave to them while they were in a Canada Jail. (She brought them hot food and traveled to Richmond and back - alone - to bring papers that freed them.)
When the early Amnesty Proclamation were issued by the Federal Government, Sarah was excluded. (She waged war against the U.S. Government, from beyond the borders of this Country.)
Thus, the KY Legislature protected her freedom by Honoring her in "Executive Session" - and those records are not available to the Public - TO THIS DAY.
She managed her "invisibility" by never using her true name. Most people heard of her as "Kate", "Olivia", "Josephine", and more. Now I see she was called "Mrs Howell".
. (Aside. If you want to research her in Canada, she appears in that register between Dec. 1864 and April 1865, as Antoinette Reynaud - her mother's maiden name).
She waited until 1900 to show her "Current"real name in public, when she lived in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. with her sister. (Died there 1920 as Sarah A. Spencer)
I invite you, or anyone, to ask any question you may have.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: John Surratt's Superior's Opinion? - SSlater - 12-10-2016 11:56 PM