How were Lewis Powell's parents related?
10-26-2016, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2016 06:10 AM by loetar44.)
How were Lewis Powell's parents related?
(1) Lewis Thornton Powell’s father and mother are George Cader Powell and Patience Caroline Powell. His parents were 2nd cousins.
(2) His second cousin was the famous Confederate commander John Brown Gordon (Ownsbey, p3). Other accounts say he was his first cousin.

I’ve done what research, but could not find any genealogical line. I’ve tried to sketch a line, with the following result.

If Lewis’ father and mother were 2nd cousins than it is fairly sure that both, George and Patience Caroline, are from the family of Moses Powell, married with Mary Williams. Moses and Mary had the following (documented) children: Cader, Penelope, Charity, Lewis, Moses jr., and Benjamin. Cader is the line of Lewis’ father: George Cader Powell. Moses jr. is the line of Rev. Lucas and certainly not the line of Lewis’ mother. Benjamin had no children. That leaves Lewis Powell. He was married with (first unknown) McNeil and had two sons Benjamin H en Lewis F. The parents of Patience Caroline were William Powell (who died in 1813) and Mary (Polly) Cox. But Moses and Mary had no documented son, named William.

However there is an ANTHONY Powell (he died in 1829 and was born between 1750 and 1770) from which is said: “no direct proof he was a son of Moses and Mary or a grandson). Okay, no one has any proof of Antony Powell’s parentage, but I believe it's possible his father was Moses Powell, who was married to Mary Williams, daughter of ANTHONY Williams and Mary Wallis. He was named after his mother’s father and had two sons: Charles and WILLIAM.

See: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...&id=I09255

If WILLIAM (son of Anthony) is the father of Patience Caroline, than indeed were Lewis Thornton Powell’s parents second cousins.

Mary (Polly) Cox had a sister, Melinda Cox, who married Rev. Zachariah Gordon. Zachariah married Lewis’ parents, he was (see: Onsbey) an uncle (of Patience Caroline). Confederate Maj. Gen. John Brown Gordon was the son of Rev. Zachariah and Melinda. So Maj. Gen. Gordon is NOT a second cousin of Lewis Powell, but a first cousin of his mother. However, this makes Maj. Gen. Gordon a first cousin once removed (1C1R) of Lewis Thornton Powell.

Looking forward to your comments.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How were Lewis Powell's parents related? - loetar44 - 10-26-2016 12:49 PM