Questions Regarding Mary Surratt
07-27-2016, 01:44 PM
RE: Questions Regarding Mary Surratt
Quote:I am intrigued by the Gonzaga wheelbarrow story. It was the ring of truth to it. I wonder why Fr. Wiget was able to retrieve the wheelbarrow on his April 15 visit to Mary if the house was being watched by the authorities (although maybe not yet). Humorously, if Powell knew the wheelbarrow was in the back yard and he referenced it when he showed up to dig the gutter, some truth to that story of his may have been established. Dodgy Most of that story comes from a Surratt Courier issue (VII-33) per Paul Warren's book on Gonzaga College. I'd love to read that account.

The wheelbarrow story is news to me....never heard of this. Of course, a lot of speculation about Powell's arrival exists - including recent film liberties, the most humourful and glaring of which is the version portrayed in Redford's The Conspirator where Powell arrives via the back door with a shovel instead of a pick axe over his shoulder, wearing a hat while appearing with his shirt unbuttoned down to his belly button! Most suspicious attire in the 19th Century at that!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Questions Regarding Mary Surratt - KateH. - 04-10-2013, 07:03 PM
RE: Questions Regarding Mary Surratt - BettyO - 07-27-2016 01:44 PM