You Can Feel Their Presence Here!
07-25-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: You Can Feel Their Presence Here!
Paige - If you were not shown the plugs and twists, then I apologize on behalf of a wayward or forgetful docent. They have been part of our tours since 1976. In fact, the then-county historian and his family traveled with my husband and daughter to Appomattox for a visit and found suppliers for both forms of the tobacco as well as the unique plug cutter. We have a great time with school groups. When we first ask them what the plug is, they think it's a brownie -- and then we let them smell it...

Since you say there was a purpose to the soldiers' pose, I will grant a Lincolnesque pardon. My husband, daughter and I were Confederate reenactors (8th Virginia, CSA) for over five years until life got in the way. I have all the respect in the world for the true reenactors on both sides who are striving to keep our history alive amid a time of great ignorance. I've done Gettysburg, New Market, and many others in 90+ heat as well as freezing temperatures, however, I never had the nerve to try camping on the ground. At first, we used a pop-up trailer, but it always managed to rain, which meant popping it back up when we got home to avoid mildew. My husband and I reached an agreement - he could reenact all he wanted, and I would join him in period dress on the distaff side, however, as for sleeping arrangements - nothing lower than Holiday Inn!

Thomas - I am not going to ask what possessed you to chew a whole bag at one time. A little pinch tucked in your jaw will suffice. I assume you took the tobacco out of its pouch before chewing? Just kidding...

Eva - Think wallpaper paste as far as grits are concerned or Cream of Wheat or Cream of Rice cereal - maybe like English porridge. Our supper hominy from a can was white and pasty also, but of larger kernels which you could actually make out as kernels of corn.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: You Can Feel Their Presence Here! - L Verge - 07-25-2016 06:45 PM