washington post review of Ford's Theatre
06-18-2016, 12:42 AM
RE: washington post review of Ford's Theatre
(06-17-2016 09:22 PM)Lincoln Wonk Wrote:  
(06-17-2016 07:51 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Kathy, nothing personal in my comment about the press.
I am in the insurance industry, and I cringe when I see poor service and misrepresentation in my profession.

Gene, No offense taken. I was sort of joking. When you're a reporter, you hear that a lot, and, unfortunately, it's often true.

(06-17-2016 01:26 PM)L Verge Wrote:  This is a very sloppy piece of writing, but I suspect that her purpose was to express displeasure that so little pertaining to the true history of why Ford's Theatre has been preserved is told in this latest round of basement exhibits. I hear the same complaints from visitors who then come to Surratt House. They want more of the assassination history and less Lincoln history. One gentleman commented that there are lots of other museums that tell about Lincoln, but only one that can explain the magnitude of his death.

They also complain about being forced to leave the exhibits too early to go for the theater tour. And, the cost now involved is another issue. In the case of Surratt House and our Booth Tours, we not only have to pay for admission now; we also have to pay a sizeable amount twice a year for a special permit to bring that amount of people to the theater since our buses could represent protesters.

(06-17-2016 09:22 PM)Lincoln Wonk Wrote:  
(06-17-2016 07:51 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Kathy, nothing personal in my comment about the press.
I am in the insurance industry, and I cringe when I see poor service and misrepresentation in my profession.

Gene, No offense taken. I was sort of joking. When you're a reporter, you hear that a lot, and, unfortunately, it's often true.

(06-17-2016 01:26 PM)L Verge Wrote:  This is a very sloppy piece of writing, but I suspect that her purpose was to express displeasure that so little pertaining to the true history of why Ford's Theatre has been preserved is told in this latest round of basement exhibits. I hear the same complaints from visitors who then come to Surratt House. They want more of the assassination history and less Lincoln history. One gentleman commented that there are lots of other museums that tell about Lincoln, but only one that can explain the magnitude of his death.

They also complain about being forced to leave the exhibits too early to go for the theater tour. And, the cost now involved is another issue. In the case of Surratt House and our Booth Tours, we not only have to pay for admission now; we also have to pay a sizeable amount twice a year for a special permit to bring that amount of people to the theater since our buses could represent protesters.

Laurie, How long have they been charging admission? I guess that means all families who go to D.C. with the idea that govt-run museums are free are disappointed?

I believe the admissions policy applies to groups and those that need to purchase tickets ahead of time. Otherwise, you need to stand in line and hope you get in at a certain time. We had to start paying for tickets and that special permit about 2-3 years ago.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: washington post review of Ford's Theatre - L Verge - 06-18-2016 12:42 AM