Lloyd Ostendorf's Book of Mary Lincoln Photos
06-09-2016, 05:28 PM
RE: Lloyd Ostendorf's Book of Mary Lincoln Photos
(06-09-2016 03:01 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  Has anyone read Lloyd Ostendorf's Photographs of Mary Lincoln? Having bought his "Lincoln's Unknown Private Life," and discovered that the authenticity of the recollection is greatly in doubt, I'm a little wary of buying the Mary Lincoln book now

Susan, I have this book. It's really more of a pamphlet than a book. Donna McCreary once posted that some of Ostendorf's dates are wrong for some of the pictures of Mary.

(06-09-2016 04:15 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Off subject, but anyone seen the photo on page 105 & 116 before?

Gene, I also have this book. I do not recall seeing that photo in any other book. The photo bothers me --> to my aging eyes it looks like Lincoln's image has been added at a later time to the original photo. Look at how the soldiers are ignoring him (they are "lounging" and don't even seem to notice him), and he's the President of the United States! I just think there's something wrong with that photo (although it apparently passed Ostendorf's "inspection"). I am NOT a photo expert, but I am leery of that photo being genuine. It just does not seem right to my eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lloyd Ostendorf's Book of Mary Lincoln Photos - RJNorton - 06-09-2016 05:28 PM