(04-30-2016, 03:35 PM)RJNorton Wrote: Thank you for posting this, Linda!
Regarding the one liner that is attributed to Lincoln...It has been said that during the Lincoln-Douglas Debates, when opponent Stephen Douglas accused Lincoln of being two-faced, Lincoln turned to the audience and said, "If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?"
However, in doing a search of Lincoln's speeches, etc., I have not been able to verify that this ever really occurred.
So, yes, the quote is attributed to Lincoln. But I have not been independently successful in verifying that he actually said it.
I wonder if anyone has had more success than me in researching this quote. I'd love to know if it really happened as tradition indicates.
My favorite Lincoln humorous, self-deprecating story is the following:
A Mr. Addison, a Federal officer from Baltimore, called upon Lincoln to tender his resignation, whereupon Lincoln said: "All right, Addison, I accept your resignation, but nothing can compensate me for the loss of you, for when you retire I will the ugliest man left in the employ of the Government." -- Isaac Markens (from "Lincoln Talks, A Biography in Anecdote" by Emanuel Hertz at page 264)
"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch