No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt
05-25-2016, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2016 07:01 PM by L Verge.)
RE: No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt
Oh good grief, Charlie Brown! Mr. Scott could have been any number of men who rode up and down the New Cut Road, or someone from Olivia's neighborhood (now Joint Base Andrews) who had been asked by her family to deliver the county newspapers to her so that she could catch up on local news - especially the casualty lists of local men killed during combat..

My personal belief (assumption) is that Herold had done everything necessary in Southern Maryland on his April 12-13 journey into the area. The only thing he had not taken down was the pair of field glasses. When Booth learned that Mrs. Surratt had received a letter from Mr. Calvert and needed to go to the country, it gave him the opportunity to send those and the message about things being needed that night. The pickets were secondary and likely had been expected anyhow since Union forces had stationed them all over the place in Southern Maryland. People of the area and Confederate agents had circumvented them for four years. Booth, Herold, and others had probably passed them within weeks or days before the assassination.

How do we know that Mrs. Surratt even inquired about them to a farmer? We have only Weichmann's word for it - stated after the close of the trial. What if Weichmann made up that story? Oh, I forgot that the man never lied. (Sorry, sarcasm just seemed to fit right here...)

How do we know that Booth was without a weapon until reaching Surrattsville? Who has solved the question of where and how he acquired the pistols that Mrs. Mudd mentioned?

We have played this type of one-upsmanship game for 151 years now. We don't know what truly happened, and neither do you. The excellent new book, The Lincoln Assassination Riddle, got the title correct on this whole chapter in U.S. history. Every detail cannot be verified, locked down, and solved. That is what has kept the pros and the amateurs on their toes for over a century trying to solve a variety of related riddles. Better folks than we can't answer many of the questions with certainty. I seriously doubt that anyone in the future will be able to either. I don't know about others, but in serious situations, I don't take the word of just one man as gospel. And when someone spends the rest of his life whining about the situation, it speaks to me about his personality.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt - L Verge - 05-25-2016 06:57 PM