Sarah Slater's Second Husband
03-31-2016, 05:50 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband
I grew up in a different era, so I have a different concept of how names are put on tombstones. A single name, is the name of the person buried there and the name shown is the name they were known by at the time of their death.

Jacob's wife "Anne E" is on another stone somewhere, but '"Jacob" should not be on her stone.

Sarah A. Spencer's name is on her grave in Poughkeepsie, and there is no other name on it.

If Sarah was buried with Long, it would have been proper to include her name - Nettie G. Long, on that stone. Since she is not buried there, there is no justification to add her "later", but more popular name to that stone. Another thought, one not very nice, Jacob Long spent part of his life avoiding the use of her name in conjunction with his. Now someone has chosen to ignore his wishes. Should we go through the Census Records, and add her name at his listing? (Just laugh at that and let it go.)

I think it proper for genealogists and historians to show important relationships in their talks or in their writings, to clarify identities, but not in this situation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 02-12-2016, 06:55 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 02-12-2016, 11:28 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 03-30-2016, 09:21 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 03-31-2016, 08:05 AM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - SSlater - 03-31-2016 05:50 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 04-01-2016, 08:18 AM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 04-02-2016, 05:46 PM