Sarah Slater's Second Husband
03-30-2016, 11:39 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband
(03-30-2016 09:21 PM)Gene C Wrote:  If Sarah (Antoinette/Nettie) was divorced from Rowan Slater, why not just drop that last name when she got divorced and go back to her maiden name of Gilbert? Why keep using the Slater name until 1867 if she is trying to hide her identity?

Why use Nettie instead of Antoinette or Sarah on a legal document? She uses Antoinette (instead of Nettie) five years later when signing as a witness.
She reverts back to using Sarah Antoinette in 1913.
And John, your post #9 has me a bit confused. Are you indicating she married a fourth time to John F Stanton?
Something just doesn't add up to me
Gene C, First: kill that Slater/Stanton marriage Post. I was amused by the string of coincidences: my search subject, my name exactly, my birthday exactly, etc. It wowed me!
The rest of your post emphasizes the confusion that we are all experiencing. We have enough of that without creating false records, that never happened.
In 1867 Sarah was not freed by any Amnesty Proclamation, yet - she was subject to arrest. She had to find ways to "hide in plain sight." I'm suggesting that she made a pact with a crooked Alderman, who helped her hide for a few more years. I don't think that she ever lived with him. I have a 1880 newspaper clipping that describes Sarah and her sister visiting friends, again with no mention of a husband. I am trying to share all the items that I have, hoping someone will have more news to add to the scrap that I provide. This suggests that Sarah began living with her sister, as early as 1880, in New York City. By 1898 +/- she and her sister moved to Poughkeepsie, where another brother was living. Eventually, we will have a DAILEY record of her travels.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 02-12-2016, 06:55 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 02-12-2016, 11:28 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 03-30-2016, 09:21 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - SSlater - 03-30-2016 11:39 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 03-31-2016, 08:05 AM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 04-01-2016, 08:18 AM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 04-02-2016, 05:46 PM