The Baltimore Plot: What was Pinkerton Thinking?
02-09-2016, 12:15 PM
RE: The Baltimore Plot: What was Pinkerton Thinking?
I thought about starting a new thread, with some title like

The Baltimore Plot -- First Assassination of Lincoln Attempt

but I decided instead to jump in here in this thread as it is framed in place. I'm really not emphasizing Pinkerton though.

My short term interest is in naming the players, some biography of them, and what happened to them, and why weren't they eliminated at the outset, and did these same men work with the Confederacy and JWBooth to complete the job and the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in April 1865.
After Lincoln was executed and JWBooth had escaped, why did not the War Office and or the general public clamor for the re-arrest and execution of these men named in "The Baltimore Plot" of 1861?

The Baltimore Plot was certainly an early plot to assassinate Lincoln, before he could take office. None of these men were ever prosecuted. I like the way Ward Lamon writes it up.

"The reports are all in the form of personal narratives..when the spies went to bed, when they rose, where they ate, what saloons and brothels they visited...Luckett declared that he
knew a man who would kill Lincoln...Mr. Luckett...introduced me to Capt. Ferrandina and Capt. Turner...Ferrandina ...was willing to give his life for Lincoln's...But...Ferrandina...did no more than many others around him were doing at the same time. He drank and talked, and made swelling speeches; but he never took, nor seriously thought of taking, the first step...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Baltimore Plot: What was Pinkerton Thinking? - maharba - 02-09-2016 12:15 PM