Curious---Tad left or right handed?
01-26-2016, 01:19 PM
RE: Curious---Tad left or right handed?
(01-26-2016 11:00 AM)Angela Wrote:  
(01-26-2016 07:22 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
(01-26-2016 01:24 AM)Angela Wrote:  I dont have access to it right now, but would not Julia Tafts diary/book make mention of it if Tad was left handed. She observed the Lincoln children closely and spend a lot of time with them.

@Eva: while the custom of "re training" left handed children in German schools existed, it was not practiced everywhere. I was never asked to use my right hand for writing and neither were any of my cousins or even my mother.
That's interesting. Did you grow up in a Catholic area?

It has always been fairly balanced. However, three of my cousins of which two are left handed, as well as my mother grew up in rather catholic Mainz.

(01-26-2016 06:35 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Can one tell if a person is left-handed from their handwriting?

I think it would be difficult today since, depending on how I hold my arm while writing, the letters lean either left or right.
However, I cannot imagine that this was possible in a time when ink would have been smudged heavily when one tried to drag his arm after the written words.
So what I am trying to say is that his letters would either lean left or be straight if he was left handed.

Angela - I had two childhood friends who were left-handed and you described their formation of words exactly right, either slanted to the left (we called it backhand) or straight up.

When I was ten, I smashed my right shoulder and spent months in a body cast, traction, splints, etc. I had to learn to write with my left hand, and I went from slanting right as a right-hander to leaning left as a left-hander.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Curious---Tad left or right handed? - L Verge - 01-26-2016 01:19 PM