Friends of Rich Hill Website
09-26-2015, 05:19 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2015 06:20 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Friends of Rich Hill Website
Dave, kudos to your skills, this is really professionally done. I especially LOVE the logo - did you draw it? Also I love the second photo - perfect all-in-one: object, "speakers", and message. On my phone the photos come across fine, too.

For all the following goes - just some humble ideas and personal preferences, NO criticism intended. I truly find the site already very well done, and you may, of course, totally disagree on all my thoughts. And all refers to the mobile view.

Whom do you want to attract and get interested? I assume everyone coming across, not just those who are "determined" and/or well knowledgeable.

- Being someone not of the latter group, my first question when reading the intro "The Friends of Rich Hill was established to preserve, refurbish, and promote a unique part of Southern Maryland’s history" would be - WHY is it so unique, and why isn't there any hint as for the why as a bait on the front page? (Imagine Ford hadn't promoted Laura Keene starring and Lincoln/Grant attending on April 14 but just "unique cast and guests".) Why not involving at least one of the keywords "Booth" or "Lincoln assassination" in the first place?

- Why is the WONDERFUL logo not on the top? The house in photography is anyway shown in the FANTASTIC second photo, even from the same side. And despite this photographic redundancy, the logo "contains" more (the former porch), brings history to pastoral life, and appears warm and welcoming (while the top photo, though certainly a brilliant photography, to me "feels" a bit icy and cold).

- The categories that follow make sense, and I like the integrated links. Just the order I personally change as I think the order of importance to the reader might be as follows:

3.Interested in a concise history of Rich Hill and its importance to history? Read our History of Rich Hill page.
[And I'd keep it shorter and simpler for the impatient minds out there, e.g.: "Want to learn about the history of Rich Hill and it's importance?"]

When the reader knows what the place is he might be more "open" to:

1.Want to learn more about [who] The Friends of Rich Hill [are] and our purpose*? Check out the About Us page.
[* I'm aware I'm not a native speaker, and it might be a language issue, but to me "purpose" sounds quite passive, as if you were a tool created by someone else to be utilized (like in "Brave New World" - I'm exaggerating to illustrate what I mean). To me it lacks the connotation of active strive, and progress. What about "goal"/"intent"/ambition"?]

Then the reader's willingness might have increased to:

2.Looking to donate and become a Friend of Rich Hill yourself? Please visit our Donate page.

(IMO it's better to forward all info and water the reader's mouth before holding out the tin cup.)
And I would place:

5. Looking for pictures of Rich Hill, its history, and our progress? View the galleries on our Images page.

...before

4.Want to keep up to date with the progress of Rich Hill’s rehabilitation and learn even more about the site’s history? Follow our Blog page.

...because I find it more logical to see all that's already there before waiting for new additions.

6.Have questions, ideas, or suggestions? Contact us at: friendsofrichhill@gmail.com

[Upon reconsideration I'd perhaps even place the pics of the place directly after the info.]

I.e. I would either consider this:
1. Want to learn about the history of Rich Hill and it's importance? Read our History of Rich Hill page.
2. Want to learn more about The Friends of Rich Hill and our goal? Check out the About Us page.
3. Looking to donate and become a Friend of Rich Hill yourself? Please visit our Donate page.
4. Looking for pictures of Rich Hill, its history, and our progress? View the galleries on our Images page.
5. Want to keep up to date with the progress of Rich Hill’s rehabilitation and learn even more about the site’s history? Follow our Blog page.
6.Have questions, ideas, or suggestions? Contact us at: friendsofrichhill@gmail.com

[...or this:
1. Want to learn about the history of Rich Hill and it's importance? Read our History of Rich Hill page.
2. Looking for pictures of Rich Hill, its history, and our progress? View the galleries on our Images page.
3. Want to learn more about The Friends of Rich Hill and our goal? Check out the About Us page.
4. Looking to donate and become a Friend of Rich Hill yourself? Please visit our Donate page.
5.Want to keep up to date with the progress of Rich Hill’s rehabilitation and learn even more about the site’s history? Follow our Blog page.
6.Have questions, ideas, or suggestions? Contact us at: friendsofrichhill@gmail.com]

To directly compare - this is how it's now:
1. Want to learn more about who The Friends of Rich Hill are and our purpose? Check out the About Us page.
2. Looking to donate and become a Friend of Rich Hill yourself? Please visit our Donate page.
3. Interested in a concise history of Rich Hill and its importance to history? Read our History of Rich Hill page.
4. Want to keep up to date with the progress of Rich Hill’s rehabilitation and learn even more about the site’s history? Follow our Blog page.
5. Looking for pictures of Rich Hill, its history, and our progress? View the galleries on our Images page.
6. Have questions, ideas, or suggestions? Contact us at: friendsofrichhill@gmail.com

(Now please, don't be mad at me, Dave...you asked for a feedback, and this is what I'd consider - and I really took some time for this. But you, of course, are the experienced expert, and all I ask is not to feel criticized or that there's any but positive intention.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Friends of Rich Hill Website - Dave Taylor - 09-25-2015, 02:27 PM
RE: Friends of Rich Hill Website - BettyO - 09-25-2015, 02:40 PM
RE: Friends of Rich Hill Website - BettyO - 09-25-2015, 03:37 PM
RE: Friends of Rich Hill Website - L Verge - 09-25-2015, 03:58 PM
RE: Friends of Rich Hill Website - Eva Elisabeth - 09-26-2015 05:19 AM
RE: Friends of Rich Hill Website - L Verge - 09-26-2015, 11:24 AM