Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
07-19-2015, 07:25 PM
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
(07-19-2015 12:16 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(07-19-2015 11:07 AM)John Fazio Wrote:  As for further witnesses, it was an event of significance only to Julia, the 4r attendees and historians. Waiters, etc., couldn't have cared less and doubtless took no notice of any of it.

Hi John. Possibly I am the only one who is surprised that such a lunch table was only noticed by Julia Grant. Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the Willard was an upscale hotel. I cannot remember where I read it, but I thought I once read that Atzerodt "stood out" at the Kirkwood House because of his shabby dress. In other words, clothes that "fit in" at the Pennsylvania House were "noticed" at the Kirkwood House. So, we have a foursome...one of the most famous actors in the USA, two shabbily dressed men (Herold and Atzerodt), and Powell (maybe Betty can comment on how he was dressed) eating lunch at the Willard Hotel on the day of the assassination, and only one person made mental note of this group? I trust and respect your judgment, John, but I must admit to some surprise that we don't have more folks who commented about this particular lunch table.

Roger:

With respect, think the issue of commentary on the luncheon is a tempest in a teapot. What should someone have said and who would have thought it important? E.g.: "I am a waiter at Willard's and during the noon hour of April 14 I saw four strange looking fellows dining there. I also saw Mrs. Grant with Mrs. Rawlins and some kids, who were also dining there. The four weirdos might have been eavesdropping on Mrs. Grant and her party. I think one of the wierdos was John Wilkes Booth, the actor, because I have seen him on stage." Response of government agent investigating the case: "Yeah. So what? Why do you think that's important? The President is dead, we know Booth did it and we know he is on the lam, so why should the luncheon at Willard's yesterday be of any interest to us?

Bottom line: What happened in Willard's dining room on the 14th was unlikely to engender comment by anyone who was there except Julia, and even if it did, I doubt that anyone cared about it, because it had no relevance to anything anymore and for that reason went unrecorded.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread