Disinterring and reburying Civil War Soldiers
06-04-2015, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 08:02 AM by BettyO.)
RE: Disinterring and reburying Civil War Soldiers
Quote:I, too, think a named grave will give each the recognition he deserves and show more respect to each of them than a collective monumentum, not just as one soldier, but also as a private person as well as to his family.

I wholeheartedly agree. These people deserve recognition and remembrance. They were human beings - they had (and probably STILL have) family. They deserve some credit for that. All people deserve recognition and respect. It's the decent thing to do; regardless of what side they fought on.

One interesting side note which I found was that when the conspirators were dug up from Wareroom One; when the burial trench was opened and the coffins were revealed, it was noted in one paper that the "workmen removed their hats and stood in silence before the graves" (of Booth, Surratt, Powell, Herold, Atzerodt and Wirtz.) That is saying a lot - all humans deserves respect....at least to their families if no one else (and no, I'm not a liberal!) HA! Tongue

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Disinterring and reburying Civil War Soldiers - BettyO - 06-04-2015 07:56 AM