Most important person in Lincoln's life
05-19-2015, 03:07 PM
RE: Most importat person in Lincoln's life
(05-19-2015 02:34 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  As for the assertion that Lincoln was color-blind when it came to Blacks, I like and admire the man but that is simply not true.

I was going to say that Angela was simply referring to something Douglass himself said about his experience with Lincoln, and that in no way she generalized about Lincoln being colorblind with regards to the races:
Angela Wrote:Frederick Douglass ... pointed out how much he enjoyed that Lincoln seemed to have forgotten [seeing color] when talking to him.

But I see that Angela pulled up the quote that I was looking for, in order to support
this assessment.

(05-19-2015 02:34 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  The fact that he was gracious (and brave enough) to welcome Frederick Douglass to the WH does not erase the fact that he also told a delegation of Black men who visited him there that it would be better if they were colonized to Liberia or the Caribbean because of the impossibility of Whites and Blacks living together in peace, and that they(Blacks) were basically the cause of the war in the first place. It was, in my opinion, the low point of his presidency.
Even in this "low point of his presidency," he deliberated with them and not just about them. I am not sure if there had even been Black delegations to the White House before this one. So even his low point was high compared to previous presidents.

And we're all getting so serious about what was meant as
Angela Wrote:... TOTALLY tongue in cheek!

"That from these honored dead we take increased devotion"
~A.Lincoln
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most importat person in Lincoln's life - 87books - 05-19-2015 03:07 PM