Most important person in Lincoln's life
05-19-2015, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2015 02:08 PM by Angela.)
RE: Most importat person in Lincoln's life
(05-19-2015 01:45 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Angela, please allow me to remark I've never said nor believe Mary influenced her husband's character.

Hi Eva! I did not respond to your particular comment, just to Mary Lincoln's general mention in this thread.

If anything, I think that she is proof how resilient he was to being influenced by others.

(05-19-2015 01:45 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  As for his legal career, J. T. Stuart encouraged him to study law.

I wasn't talking about who inspired him to study law - Stuart was much earlier than the timeline I pointed out.
David Davis and Lincoln met not until the mid 40's as far as I am aware.
But if you go through Lincoln's legal cases - the cases he took, the way he organized himself and the way he argued - there is great development after they met and started working closely together.
As I said, it is pure speculation on my part, but the way Davis and Lincoln grew close during that time made me think that Davis made quite a difference in Lincoln's career. Politically as well as a lawyer.

@Peter - GREAT point about his father! From his own writing it appears as if Lincoln has studied his father very closely and was influenced by his way of life a great deal.

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most importat person in Lincoln's life - Angela - 05-19-2015 02:07 PM