Lincoln's pithy sayings
04-17-2015, 09:41 AM
Lincoln's pithy sayings
I have long been reading and learning from this Symposium, but it was the commemoration of the 150th anniversary that has prompted me to join this wonderful group of admirers of the greatest American.

Abraham Lincoln had a wonderful way of fusing wisdom with humor. His "little stories" illustrated his underlying message better than a long disquisition ever could. I am wondering if the members have particular phrases or "punch lines" from him that they themselves enjoy employing.

Some of my favorites are (from memory so may be off on the exact wording):

1. "One war at a time" The perfect remedy against the kind of multi-tasking that frazzles and frustrates the end design.

2. "When you make a bad bargain, hug it all the tighter". A zen-like gem from the 16th President, apparently used by Thomas Lincoln.

3. "The hen is the wisest of creatures, it does not cackle until the egg is laid." Take that, over-confident generals of battles still to be won.

4. "He was the greatest scoundrel God ever made, but in His Providence also the biggest fool." Ouch.

5. "He will not steal a red hot stove." Lincoln's cautious defense of Cameron, I believe.

6. "She will think nothing of it." According to Mary his last words. A wonderful way of saying that their young guest would not mind seeing the President and his wife holding hands.

And, I find particularly funny his "story" about the young man who makes a show of his love of all things Washington by taking a long pilgrimage to Virginia to see an old dress still owned by an elderly lady who had worn it on the long ago ocassion of meeting GW. The punch line (a little blue) could have out of the book "A Confederacy of Dunces."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Lincoln's pithy sayings - Juan Marrero - 04-17-2015 09:41 AM
RE: Lincoln's pithy sayings - Gene C - 04-17-2015, 10:04 AM
RE: Lincoln's pithy sayings - RJNorton - 04-17-2015, 10:26 AM
RE: Lincoln's pithy sayings - Gene C - 04-17-2015, 10:37 AM
RE: Lincoln's pithy sayings - Juan Marrero - 04-17-2015, 11:15 AM
RE: Lincoln's pithy sayings - Gene C - 04-17-2015, 12:06 PM