Distribution of Some of the Death Clothes
09-09-2012, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 12:28 PM by Rsmyth.)
RE: Distribution of Some of the Death Clothes
This is a picture of a Bosom from circa 1912. Is that was Mose is talking about? Is it like a Dickie?
[Image: detachedshirtbosom1912n.jpg]

Laurie,

You were correct, Mose was an employee of the War Dept.
An eyewitness from Ford’s reached nearby Grover’s Theatre by 10:40 P.M. In the audience was an employee from the War Department hardware shop, Mose Sandford:
I was at Grover’s…They were playing Aladdin or the Wonderful Lamp and had just commenced the fourth act…Miss German had just finished a song called “Sherman’s March Down to the Sea” and was about to repeat it when the door of the theatre was pushed violently open and a man rushed in exclaiming “turn out for Gods sake, the President has been shot in his private box at Ford’s Theatre.” He then rushed out. Everybody seemed glued to the spot I for one and I think I was one of the first who attempted to move…Everybody followed. I made straight for Ford’s and such another excited crowd I never before witnessed. I asked who did it and was informed Wilkes Booth. They were just bringing the President out when I arrived on the spot. The city was in one continued whirl of excitement. Crowds on every corner and 10th Street was one solid mass of excited men flourishing knives and revolvers and yelling “down with the traitors” instead of hunting for them.

Laurie, you were wondering if the letter still exists:
According to Ed Steers in Blood on the Moon, the letter written on April 17th 1865 is in a private collection. Maybe Ed has the letter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Distribution of Some of the Death Clothes - Rsmyth - 09-09-2012 12:04 PM