The Loyalty Oath during the Civil War
01-18-2015, 03:24 PM
RE: The Loyalty Oath during the Civil War
(01-17-2015 06:24 PM)Anita Wrote:  Who had to sign the loyalty oath and how effective was it? Were background checks done? What were the consequences if one broke the oath?

I know government employees had to take the oath and some businesses. Then there were those crossing North/South boundaries. There are many notes signed by Lincoln "Let him/ her take the oath".

Mary Lincoln's half-sister Emilie refused to sign the oath in 1864. Why didn't actors such as Booth have to take the oath or those traveling to Canada?

Lastly, was there a legal issue?

I'd appreciate clarification as I find it quite confusing. Thanks.

Slave owners whose slaves enlisted in the U.S. Colored Troops could receive $300 compensation if they signed a loyalty oath, signed a manumission document freeing their former slave, and passed a background investigation proving their loyalty. Most Southern Maryland slave owners didn’t apply for compensation for enlisted slaves. Many of those who did apply failed the background investigation.

Loyalty tests were also applied for other forms of compensation. Soldiers hunting Booth appropriated 3,000 pounds of Henry Lowe Mudd’s (Dr. Mudd’s father) corn to feed their horses. Henry was denied compensation, but not because the Government investigation found any evidence of disloyalty. His neighbors all spoke well of him. Rather, the Government said it couldn’t find any specific evidence of loyalty.

Dr. Mudd’s wife signed a loyalty oath at the Old Capitol Prison on the first day of the trial, probably in an effort to help her husband. The document noted that she has fair complexion, dark eyes, brown eyes, and is 5 feet tall.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Loyalty Oath during the Civil War - bob_summers - 01-18-2015 03:24 PM