John Wilkes Booth marker stolen?
11-03-2014, 07:31 PM
RE: John Wilkes Booth marker stolen?
It absolutely amazes me that someone took the time and energy to get that sign off the pole! I have dealt with two such signs in the past, and they are very heavy.

Now for the good news. The executive board of the Surratt Society has agreed to start a fundraising campaign to raise the approximately $1800 needed to replace the sign. I have asked Dave Taylor to work with Jennifer Loux (Art's daughter and staff person in Virginia who deals with such matters) to create new text and to perhaps select a better location for it. If we begin now, we can have an unveiling in time for the April anniversary.

Those who wish to contribute may send a check or money order payable to The Surratt Society at 9118 Brandywine Road, Clinton, MD 20735. On the memo line at the bottom of your check, please write "Booth Marker." Our treasurer is starting a separate spreadsheet for this project. Donations of $50 or more will be acknowledged by me. The December President's Message in the Surratt Courier will announce this project also.

BTW: Months ago, Scott Schroeder of this forum (STS Lincolnite) advised the Surratt Society of a need for donations towards the LIncoln funeral train project. We just received a very nice letter acknowledging our $500 donation. We're here to keep history alive - either at the Surratt House Museum or with projects related to that history.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: John Wilkes Booth marker stolen? - L Verge - 11-03-2014 07:31 PM