Lincoln Assassination in schools
09-02-2012, 01:58 PM
RE: Lincoln Assassination in schools
Jonathan, you are spot on about what should be taught and what is being taught. Right now, I have a grandson in the 7th grade who is chomping at the bit to get American history. Right now, he's getting it from me because the curriculum doesn't call for it until the 8th grade. And lord help that 8th grade teacher - she better pass muster!

Many long years ago, I was that 8th grade teacher and loved almost every minute of it -- especially when I got to the 1850s-60s. I made sure that several weeks were devoted to the causes of the Civil War, the various aspects of that war, and the Lincoln assassination.

And Rob, I apologize for saying this, but I am so glad that thousands of people who have visited the Surratt House and praised Manhunt for getting them interested in the story have outvoted you. My grandson has read both the children's version and the adult version and was inspired to do a PowerPoint presentation for a summer project last year. With grandma behind the wheel and a camera in his hand, we spent an entire day doing the escape route. It was a day made in heaven for me!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln Assassination in schools - L Verge - 09-02-2012 01:58 PM