Lincoln Assassination in schools
09-02-2012, 01:07 PM
RE: Lincoln Assassination in schools
Jonathan,

While I'm not sure about "a few days" I certainly agree that there should be more time given over to many subjects of which the Lincoln assassination is definitely one.

I think Laurie hit on it in another thread, though. Standardized testing requires teachers to teach to the test, and since the tests don't really measure how much one learns, but rather how much they can regurgitate, things are going to get lost.

If we were truly serious about education in our country, we would require much longer school years and require history to be taken all four years of high school (among other subjects). That way, a teacher could pick and choose which times are more important and require some detailed study, and which could be glossed over with a few comments. I think that should also apply to world history. It's all well and good to learn our country's history, but we need to understand that other nations have a past, and our own self-perceived exceptionalism aside, other nations were doing things that made them world powers in another age.

As for how much I was taught about Lincoln's assassination....I would have to say none. To be honest, I can't remember much about what I was taught in high school. I've often said I learned in spite of my teachers, not because of them. It wasn't until I was in college, and made the determination to study history (against the advice of my mother), that I seriously attacked it with a vengeance. It wasn't until I met Everton Conger that I became seriously interested in the Lincoln assassination, and I still hold to the idea that I'm more interested in Lincoln overall, and the Civil War, then I am in the assassination. That said, it doesn't mean that the study of the crime should be cordoned off as it has been over the past few decades. It tells of one aspect of the life of one of the greatest men our country ever produced, and it should be given far more attention then it is now.

Luckily, you chose to further your knowledge on your own, and while I'm one of those who questions the value of Manhunt, I'm glad to see that you're reading and learning. Keep going!

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln is the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln Assassination in schools - Rob Wick - 09-02-2012 01:07 PM