The carriage (and coachman) that took the Lincoln party to Ford's Theatre
09-13-2014, 05:00 AM
RE: The carriage (and coachman) that took the Lincoln party to Ford's Theatre
Laurie, I found that information in Jim Bishop's book, and of course Bishop didn't use footnotes. I have no other source on that. I don't know if Bishop had a source for that or was just guessing the seating arrangement.

Kees, regarding #4, Francis Burke gave a statement on April 25, 1865. It read, "Francis Burns, the driver of the president's coach, states that on the night of the murder of Mr. Lincoln, he drove him to the theatre and stayed at the door until the tragedy occurred. The Special police officer and the footman of the president came up to him to take a drink with them; which he did; but he does not remember anyone else coming up to him in particular, those there were several who asked him questions. He does not know who they were."

I believe whoever took down Burke's statement got the name wrong, and this may be the origin of why so many books use "Burns."

http://books.google.com/books?id=GvYpUeu...22&f=false

Since we know that the footman was Forbes and the police officer was Parker then it does appear all 3 had a drink leaving President Lincoln without any of the White House staff who were there. I am not sure any of the 3 considered themselves "presidential security" in the same way we consider that term nowadays.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The carriage (and coachman) that took the Lincoln party to Ford's Theatre - RJNorton - 09-13-2014 05:00 AM